Tuesday, February 1, 2011

i like it.

I just read the Bevington introduction to As You Like It and I confess that I found it far more interesting and informative than the intros to the other two plays I have read so far. One of the themes it brings up right off is that of sexual identity being confused. I really find this point to be intriguing and interesting, especially since it led me to wonder if sexual identity was as profound of a problem in Shakespeare's time as it is today. The intro also heavily focused on starting with a homosexual relationship in order to transition on to a heterosexual union. Once again, very interesting that these matters should have such a primary focus in Shakespeare's play.
It's been a good start already, and I'm excited to further address the concerns and matters that are laid out in the introduction.