Wednesday, April 13, 2011

we've come to the end, and now i'll evaluate.

This semester with Shakespeare has gone by far too quickly, and now it's time for me to evaluate my blog. I will be using the same criteria for my blog as I used in the peer evaluation.

Posts.
  • Quantity. I have posted 38 times this semester, and I feel like a majority of the blogs were dedicated to Shakespeare in the Victorian era. Not all of them were entirely substantial, but I tired to keep in mind where I wanted to end up.
  • Content. I feel like my posts were equally divided into exploratory, personal, and analytical. I tried to incorporate media when appropriate, and I feel like that aided in the overall presentation of the posts. I think I was more exploratory toward the beginning of the semester, and during that time i really tried to branch out and make my posts as diverse as possible. Depending on what interested me at the time, I sought out the information and attempted to answer the questions I was asking. 
  • Format. I'm really awful at coming up with titles, but I tried to include the subject matter that will be discussed in the title of the post. I also used jump breaks when I felt they were appropriate. Sometimes I see people use jump breaks only after the first two sentences, so I tested that, but later changed the jump breaks to break the blog up after more information was available. The shorter jump breaks are most affective when used with posts that are primary to the main focus of the blog. I used tags for each blog, and after reading Jessica V.'s evaluation of my blog, I agree that I went a little overboard with the tags. But at this point, it seems like it would be more of a mess to try to sort through all the blogs and tags. At least the most important tags are bigger so that they attract more attention than the tiny tags that were more random. 
Research. 
  • Thematic Focus. I would hope that a visitor to my blog would be able to tell that my primary focus is on Victorian Shakespeare. Much of my side content reflects the focus and my hub post aims at informing the reader that I have several other posts on Victorian Shakespeare.
  • Thesis and Cohesion. In my hub post I state that Shakespeare proved to be a perfect medium for the Victorians to express their ideals, and the Bard's work aided in the progression of new social ideals. I linked previous posts on Victorian Shakespeare in my hub post. I didn't link all the posts I wrote about the Victorian era to my hub because I didn't feel that they were all relevant to my thesis, but they are relevant to Victorian Shakespeare in general.
  • Sources. I made a sources page, as well as a other sources page, which contains mostly websites and blogs that I had references. But after looking at my sources page, I feel like I used a lot more scholarly sources than I have listed, so I must have missed something somewhere.
Personal and Social.
  • Author and Identity. I have both an "About Me" section and I added a badge from Facebook. Both provide my location, name, and my picture. I really like the design of my blog, which should prove that it represents me pretty well! In my more casual posts, my interests are represented and explored. 
  • Documentation of Process. I feel like most of my blogs are narratives of what I was trying to achieve in my research and studies. I raised a lot of questions that I wanted to answer, but some of those questions were left unanswered, which is fine because that is part of the discover process too.
  • Interactions. I really tried to be involved in others' blogs by commenting on their posts. I especially tired to be aware to respond and thank people who commented on my posts. 
Design. 
  • After tweaking with my design throughout the entire semester, I'm pleased with the end result. I think the wallpaper and the color scheme make a sort of "modern" take on Victorian decor. I also am glad that Dr. Burton helped me out with the slideshow of all the images I used in my blog. I think that adds an element of interest, and it helps to tie the Victorians more closely with the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment