Wednesday, February 2, 2011

coz rosalind.

Yesterday I tried a different approach to getting acquainted with As You Like It: instead of reading the play first then watching a film adaptation of it, I watched the film first, and now I'm working on reading the text. This helped introduce the story line, especially since I am totally unfamiliar with the play, other than the "All the world's a stage" speech.

I watched the 1936 version with Lawrence Olivier, and it was pretty decent. But first off, the actress playing Rosalind seemed too sweet. Like I said before, I have had no previous experience with As You Like It but I knew well enough that Rosalind was much too sweet and soft-spoken. Then once she got into the character of Ganymede, that's when she really came out of her shell and became that strong, confident woman that I had read about in the Bevington introduction. This made me wonder if this transformation from sweet to strong is a convention of the character of Rosalind, or if that's just how it happened to turn out in the film.
As I read the text, I'm going to pay careful attention to if there is any indicator of this transformation in Rosalind's speech. Also I will be watching the 2006 version of As You Like It directed by Kenneth Branagh and then compare Rosalind from all three angles.

No comments:

Post a Comment