Sunday, March 13, 2011

random acts of shakespeare.

As I stated in a post a few weeks ago, I want to summarize my contact with Shakespeare through the week. I'll try to make these random Shakespeare posts over the weekends. And now, I'll begin.

One. My husband and I watched Titus, and although I've never read the play, I can without a doubt say that this has to be the most brutal and tragic of all Shakespeare plays. Although there was the visual elements that aided in making the drama more extreme, I tried to focus mostly on the language and the story so that I can make the claim that Titus Andronicus is darker than any Shakespearean tragedy I've ever read. Other than that, I thought it was a very interesting film with a lot of interesting visual elements. I would be interested in reading this play at some future date too. The film really sparked my interest in what seems to be a very heavy play.

Two. Yesterday I accompanied my husband and my parents to see BYU's experimental theater's Much Ado About Nothing. I thought it was very entertaining, and the audience seemed to really be enjoying all the bantering too. One thing that my husband pointed out was that this production of the play focused more on Hero and Claudio's relationship, which is not what I would call the highlight of the entire play, so that was interesting. Something that I was impressed with was the renditions of the actual songs from the play. That was great hearing "Sigh no more lady" in 40s style music. Fun stuff. Overall we all enjoyed the play, and I thought it was worth it to see a student's version of one of Shakespeare's great comedies.

And these, ladies and gentlemen, are some random acts of Shakespeare.

No comments:

Post a Comment