Thursday, January 13, 2011

learning outcomes.

I was a little lost, at first, on how to execute my experience with Shakespeare this semester. But now after reading several other learning outcomes, I can feel more comfortable with how to outline my own exploration of Shakespeare.

1. Gain "Shakespeare Literacy."
a.       Breadth.
                                                              i.      The Comedies. I have never before read Twelfth Night, As You Like It, or Measure for Measure. I assume that would be a good start right there. If I have time, I will read my favorite A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and maybe even Much Ado About Nothing.
                                                            ii.      The Histories. I haven’t read any of these, so I’ll start with The First Part of King Henry the Fourth, and perhaps later The Life of King Henry the Fifth.
                                                          iii.      The Tragedies. I’d like to read King Lear and Othello. Possibly even Antony and Cleopatra.
                                                          iv.      The Romances. Since our book only has two, and I’ve already read The Tempest, by default I’ll read The Winter’s Tale.
                                                            v.      The Sonnets. I’ll try to read maybe ten of these…?
b.      Depth. Perhaps I’ll get in to King Lear or Twelfth Night.
c.       Performance. I’m really disconnected from the world, so if anyone knows of any productions of any Shakespeare plays that will be happening, please let me know.
d.      Legacy. For this I will read more in to how Shakespeare is and was received in Japan, as well as in the Victorian era.
2.      Analyze Shakespeare Critically.
a.       Textual Analysis. For this aspect, I think I’ll focus more on the language and theme of any given play I’m reading.
b.      Contextual Analysis. I’ll probably be most interested in focusing on the cultural aspects of the plays and read up on what was going on during the time of Shakespeare.
c.       Application of Literary Theories. Not sure yet on this one.
d.      Analysis of Digital Mediations. I think I’d like to take Japanese film adaptations of a few of Shakespeare’s plays and compare them with American, or British, adaptations of the same play.
3.      Engage Shakespeare Creatively.
a.       Performance. I’ll try to recruit someone in my family to do this with me. Maybe I’ll just record our “performance” and post it on my blog…maybe.
b.      Literary Imitation. Maybe I’ll sample writing a few sonnets.
c.       Misc. I also want to summarize various scenes from the plays I’ll be reading by sketching and drawing what comes to my mind.
4.      Share Shakespeare Meaningfully. I think all of the aspects of formal and informal writing will be fulfilled by my blog postings. Same goes with connecting and sharing of my research and creative work.